Head of Group Finance
Hours: 28-35 hours p/w
Responsible to: Group Chief Executive
Salary: up to £45,000 (FTE) pro rata, depending on experience
Purpose of the role
The Head of Group Finance is a key member of the Senior Management Team responsible for the day to day accounting and financial management of MPS Society and MPS Commercial.
Specific areas of responsibility
- Responsible to the Group Chief Executive in managing all the MPS Society and MPS Commercial financial affairs on a daily basis ensuring that the financial controls policy is fully adhered to.
- Produce draft budgets and forecasts for the MPS Society and MPS Commercial for the Group Chief Executive for presentation, consideration and approval by the Board of Directors.
- Manage income and expenditure ensuring that budgets are adhered to and report monthly to the Group Chief Executive and Directors on top line income and expenditure against budget.
- Prepare the MPS Society’s and MPS Commercial’s year end accounts, liaising with the Group Chief Executive and the auditors. Disseminate draft accounts to the Board of Directors and prepare final year end accounts for approval at the Board of Directors meeting.
- Manage the VAT for MPS Commercial ensuring that returns are submitted within timescales and VAT is reclaimed where possible.
- Maintain and accurately manage the MPS Society’s Gift Aid Scheme ensuring all Gift Aid is obtained.
- Ensure all purchase invoices are appropriately processed in accordance with the financial procedures.
- Be responsible for incoming post, processing all cash and cheques and recording all online payments.
- Establish and ensure that the financial handbook is always current and that the Group Chief Executive is appraised of any changes.
- Manage the MPS Society/MPS Commercial’s payroll and all financial matters related to secondment of staff.
Communication, Management and Policy Decisions
- Line manage personnel within the Group Finance Department ensuring that supervisions are regularly undertaken and the team is well supported.
- Maintain regular communication with the Group Chief Executive, the MPS Society/MPS Commercial’s bankers and financial advisors.
- Ensure that appropriate vision and processes are in place to ensure the long-term financial viability of the charity, advise Senior Management Team on the financial consequences of proposed actions.
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are up to date.
- Ensure appropriate risk management techniques and financial controls are embedded throughout the charity at strategic and operational levels.
- Assist with financial aspects of contract negotiations and project proposals.
- To be committed to the work of the MPS Society and MPS Commercial and to promote good team working.
- To work in accordance with the organisation’s policies and procedures
- To complete other appropriate duties as may be required by the organisation from time to time.
Terms and conditions of service
The detailed terms and conditions for the post are set out in the Contract of Employment. Hours of working are a total of 35 hours per week. All staff are offered regular supervision, work to KPIs and have their training needs assessed. Holiday entitlement is 25 days per annum pro rata.
The MPS Society operates a no smoking policy in their office premises and for staff when in the presence of MPS sufferers and their families.
Changes to job description
If for any reason it is necessary to make changes to the job description this will be discussed in advance between the post holder and the supervising line manager.
- Experienced accountant – minimum 5 years experience
- Accountancy qualification desirable
- Experience of working within a Charity environment preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of financial legislation in respect of Charities
- Line management experience desirable but not essential
- Track record of working within tight budgets
- Gift Aid
- Ability to analyse
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent time management and workload planning
- IT literate with an emphasis on financial systems, SAGE 50 and Excel spreadsheets
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
For an informal discussion about the post please ring Toni on 0345 389 9901 or to apply, email us a copy of your CV and cover letter.